Ballou STAY Opportunity Academy
National External Diploma Program (NEDP)
STEP 1 - Testing and Orientation
· CASAS 130 Test
· Must score at least a 6.0 grade level in Reading
· Must score at least a 4.0 grade level in Math
· You will be given 30 minutes to complete each test.
ALL TEST SCORES MUST BE PICKED UP IN PERSON
(If you don’t make the above scores, you will be referred to another program in the city) .
STEP 2 – ADULT BASIC EDUCATION CLASSES (Monday – Thursday)
· If you score a 6.0 or better in Reading but not a 9.0 and
· If you score a 4.0 or better in Math but not a 9.0, you must attend ABE classes in whatever area(s) you did not achieve the 9.0 score.
· If you score a 9.0 or better on both tests, you are eligible to go directly to STEP 3, the Diagnostic Phase.
· A longer length CASAS test is administered after every advisory (9 weeks) for the opportunity to achieve the 9.0 and move on.
STEP 3 – NATIONAL EXTERNAL DIPLOMA PROGRAM
THE DIAGNOSTIC PHASE
This is the beginning of preparation for High School Diploma requirements. 75% of this phase is computer- based.
· You will be assigned an Advisor who will guide you through this part of the program. You will meet with the advisor once a week.
· This phase requires a $125.00 (non-refundable) payment of cash or money order of which $75.00 is due before you can begin.
· This payment is made to the registrar in administrative suite 1204, and after receiving your receipt, you must present it to the EDP administrative assistant in suite 1302 for further instructions.
(Payment Plans are also available)
Components of this phase include:
1. Reading assessment – Must score a 236 scaled score which is equivalent to a 9.0 grade level.
2. Math Assessment – Must score a 230 scaled score which is equivalent to a 9.9 grade level.
3. Essay Writing Assessment – Must score a 3 (explanation provided by Advisor).
4. NEDP Self-Assessment Checklist (SAC)
5. College & Career Competencies Inventory
6. Technology Skills Self- Assessment Checklist
7. O*Net Interest Profiler
8. Once these areas are demonstrated, you are now eligible for STEP 4
STEP 4 – NATIONAL EXTERNAL DIPLOMA PROGRAM
THE ASSESSMENT PHASE
The balance of $50.00 is due at this time. You will be assigned an Assessor at this time who will guide you through the completion of the program. You will meet with your Assessor once a week or once every two weeks. This portion of the program is all computer-based and requires you to work independently from home. This component includes the 100% demonstration of competencies in the following areas:
Cultural Literacy/Film Literacy
Consumer Awareness A
21st Century Workplace
Consumer Awareness B
**After fully demonstrating all above areas, your completed portfolio is submitted for Portfolio Review. After fully demonstrating any suggested areas, you are a candidate for GRADUATION!!! An additional non-refundable fee for graduation is required**
Please call 202-645-6711 for further assistance
We look forward to serving you!