Ballou STAY Opportunity Academy
National External Diploma Program (NEDP)
STEP 1 - Testing and Orientation (Non-Refundable Registration fee of $25 due at time of testing for all NEW students)
· Math & Reading CASAS eTests
· Must score at least a (220) 6.0 grade level in Reading
· Must score at least a (206) 5.0 grade level in Math
· Each test is approximately 1 hour 15 mins
**STUDENTS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY PHONE OF THEIR CASAS MATH AND READING ETEST SCORES**
(If the above minimum scores are not met, you will be referred to local agencies to receive additional assistance)
STEP 2 – ADULT BASIC EDUCATION (ABE) CLASSES (Monday – Thursday) OR (Mondays & Wednesday/Tuesdays & Thursdays)
(Non-Refundable ABE Registration fee of $25 due for all NEW students)
**STUDENTS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY THEIR TEACHER VIA PHONE OR EMAIL REGARDING THEIR ABE SCHEDULE**
(FAILURE TO ATTEND REGULARLY SCHEDULED CLASSES WILL RESULT IN WITHDRAWAL FROM THE PROGRAM)
· If you score a (220) 6.0 grade level or better in Reading but not a (236) 9.0 grade level
· If you score a (206) 5.0 or better in Math but not a (226) 9.0 grade level
(You must attend ABE classes in respective area(s) you did not achieve the 9.0 grade level)
*CASAS eTests will be administered every 9-weeks for the opportunity to achieve 9.0 Math and Reading grade levels*
· If you score a (236) in Reading and (226) in Math or better on both tests, you are eligible to go directly to STEP 3, the Diagnostic Phase.
STEP 3 – NATIONAL EXTERNAL DIPLOMA PROGRAM
THE DIAGNOSTIC PHASE
(FAILURE TO ATTEND REGULARLY SCHEDULED CLASSES AND OR APPOINTMENTS WILL RESULT IN WITHDRAWAL FROM THE PROGRAM)This is the beginning of preparation for High School Diploma requirements. 75% of this phase is computer- based, to include a passing writing score of (3)
· You will be assigned an Advisor who will guide you through this part of the program. You will meet with the advisor once a week.
· This phase requires a $125.00 (Non-Refundable) payment of cash or money order of which $75.00 is due before you can begin.
· This payment is made to the registrar in Administrative Suite 1204, and after receiving your receipt, you must present it to the EDP administrative assistant in Suite 1302 for further instructions.
(Payment Plans are also available)
Components of this phase include:
1. Reading assessment – Must score a 236 scaled score which is equivalent to a 9.0 grade level.
2. Math Assessment – Must score a 230 scaled score which is equivalent to a 9.0 grade level.
3. Essay Writing Assessment – Must score a 3 (explanation provided by Advisor).
4. NEDP Self-Assessment Checklist (SAC)
5. College & Career Competencies Inventory
6. Technology Skills Self- Assessment Checklist
7. O*Net Interest Profiler
Once these areas are demonstrated, you are now eligible for STEP 4
STEP 4 – NATIONAL EXTERNAL DIPLOMA PROGRAM
THE ASSESSMENT PHASE
(FAILURE TO ATTEND REGULARLY SCHEDULED CLASSES AND OR APPOINTMENTS WILL RESULT IN WITHDRAWAL FROM THE PROGRAM)
The balance of $50.00 is due at this time. You will be assigned an Assessor at this time who will guide you through the completion of the program. You will meet with your Assessor once a week or once every two weeks. This portion of the program is all computer-based and requires you to work independently from home. This component includes the 100% demonstration of competencies in the following areas:
1. Cultural Literacy/Film Literacy
2. Health Literacy
3. Civic Literacy
4. Consumer Awareness A
5. 21st Century Workplace
6. Consumer Awareness B
**After fully demonstrating all above areas, your completed portfolio is submitted for Portfolio Review. After fully demonstrating any suggested areas, you are a candidate for GRADUATION!!! An additional non-refundable fee for graduation is required**
(PLEASE NOTE: ALL STUDENTS WILL BE REQUIRE TO ADHERE TO BALLOU STAY OPPORTUNITY BEHAVIOR CODE OF CONDUCT, FAILURE TO ADHERE MAY RESULT IN WITHDRAWAL FROM THE PROGRAM)
Please call 202-645-6711 for further assistance
We look forward to serving you!